Professor - Department of Mathematical Sciences
Dave House Endowed Professorship in Statistics, Data Mining, and Data Analytics
Ph.D., Probability and Statistics
BS, Probability and Statistics
- 08/1999-01/2003 - Postdoctoral Research Associate, Yale University School of Medicine and University of Southern California
- 08/2003-08/2015 - Research Assistant/Associate/Tenured Associate Professor, Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health
- 08/2015 - Present - Professor with Tenure, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Michigan Technological University
Areas of Expertise
Statistics Genetics/Genomics, Biostatistics, Applied Statistics, Bioinformatics.
Dr. Zhang’s collaborative research interests are to apply powerful and innovative statistical and computational methods to address problems from genetic studies and other types of studies including but not limited to biomedical research. He has been actively involved in many applied studies during his research career.
- Science Unbound Foundation Best Paper Award in Statistical Genetics Research, 2008
- Science Unbound Foundation Best Paper Award in Statistical Genetics Research, 2014
His research is currently supported by NIH and he has received More than 1.5 million dollars funding from NIH as Principal Investigator.
Dr. Zhang has published more than 100 peer-reviewed papers, 12 book chapters, and 2 other publications.
Courses taught at MTU
- MA3170 – Engineering Statistics
- MA3270 – Probability
- MA4720 – Design and Analysis of Experiments
- MA5701 – Statistical Methods
- MA5702 – Statistical Consulting
- MA5750 – Statistical Genetics
- MA5770 – Bayesian Statistics