Statistics and Computer Science Go Hand in Hand
Both are used in:
- Data mining
- Speech recognition
- Vision and Image Analysis
- Data compression
- Artificial Intelligence
- Network and traffic modeling
The Statistician’s Cycle
- Understanding Data
- Hypothesis Testing
- Theory Application
- Problem Solving
This process helps establish a scientific foundation to problems and their solutions.
What Computer Scientists Do With Data
- Develop Algorithms
- Improve System Efficiency
- Inform Artificial Intelligence
Statistics And Computer Science Come Together to Solve Problems
Statisticians use random models and computer scientists use algorithmic models, but when they come together, these two can solve problems they would struggle to alone. From data mining and analysis, to simulations and especially software engineering, these two are truly a dynamic duo.
Data Mining Processes
Experimental design for the collection of data/noise reduction
Discerning the distribution/variability
Analysis and Modeling
Group differences, dimension reduction; prediction; classification
Representation and Reporting
Statistics and Computer Science often intertwine, but it’s not always a perfect union.
Computer scientists sometimes complain that statisticians:
- Lack programming sophistication
- Impose standard techniques over innovative techniques
- Are more immersed in theory than solving real-world problems
Statisticians tend to take issue with computer scientists over their:
- Lack of statistical foundations for data collection and analysis
- Insufficient consideration of the objectives
- Disregard for the representative nature of data
But when these two combine their skills and talents, they can deliver a winning combination of science and efficiency.
- Statisticians can help computer scientists avoid reinventing the wheel and move on to develop innovative techniques.
- Computer Scientists can help statisticians move beyond theory and use their sophisticated skills to tackle real-world problems.
- Statisticians often have soft skills that help decision-makers understand issues and how to apply solutions.
Start your career with Michigan Technological University’s Master’s in Applied Statistics Online
Are you ready to gain the computational strengths you need to move theory into solutions?
Michigan Tech offers a robust online master’s degree in applied statistics that teaches these skills and how to integrate them into your organization.
Visit onlinedegrees.mtu.edu to download a program guide today.
Embed this on your page:
<iframe src="//onlinedegrees.mtu.edu/news/Infographic-Role-Statistics-Computer-Science" style="border:0px #ffffff none;" name="myiFrame" scrolling="no" frameborder="1" marginheight="0px" marginwidth="0px" height="400px" width="600px" allowfullscreen></iframe>